Poets of Color



Elmaz Abinader, Instructor Office: 313 Mills Hall
510 430 2225 elmaz@earthlink.net
office hours: 5-6:30 Thursday and by appointment

Here are the texts for the class.
• Asian American Poetry: the Next Generation edited by Victoria Chang
• Voices from Leimert Park, ed by Shonda, Buchannan
• Effigies, An Anthology of New Indigenous Writing Pacific Rim, 2009, Okpik, Rexford McDougall, etc (Salt Publishing)
• The Wind Shifts, New Latino Poetry, Edited by Francisco Aragón
• The Essential Etheridge Knight by Etheridge Knight
• Mercy by Lucille Clifton
• Zodiac of Echoes by Khaled Mattawa
• Diwata by Barbara Jane Reyes


Friday, December 7, 2012

You were all great today, here's your poem



Not Enough: The found poem of 184/284 and their mentors


One life is not enough
The stars go out
Unfouled night of sky
We don't want to talk
Say lie down

I lace your body with my hands
My fingers are dried and fatigued with belief
What do they find. Our bones
My friend  our bones
Forgotten and thrown to the sea

The opposite of your blessed room
I do not know where I want you
Lying here waiting, wasting away
Set
Rise
rise
set

life lived languidly
dead friends with so much potential
it got to them
I'm raising children here
Just follow the instruction
Growth is the one thing
worth keeping around


the sea in you has sunk into the
sea of me, a fragility fractured
I hear you L.
each heart and name a kind of ditty
of hopefulness, you weren’t that either




1 comment: